Friday, October 12, 2007

Marie Louise

Mama 88
It's late at night - my natural language is not english and my eyes are at least crossed. Have wondeful weekend

This post is dedicated my mother, but you can also join, and tribute her. BD on Oct 12 - 2007 - 88 years. She have passed the stage of keeping her age a secret. After 39 elleven, women should be proud (if not, don't blame me -hehe - my mother is then + 38).
In the following scroll down, you will see photos scanned from old albums - timeframe: 1930-55 around - and all in B/W. (there will more up to date photos after our Womens reunion on Nov 3).

It's your choice: Scroll down or use your spaceback knob.
I'll start with her mother and father. Karl and Ella

Karl went form Stockholm in Sweden to Drammen in Norway, as young. He educated as a Lift engineer - which around 1900 was a very new technology and ended his career as chief production/construction manager.
Ella was born on the South West coast of Norway. All her brothers emigrated to North America. Seven it was. (I have contact with some of theirs anceistors - they are in my heart all the time)

My mother as young? Sporty? Lazy?

Norwegians are born with skies. How else to go from one place to another (ok - I remind you: No Cars, Trains, Airplanes - see the point now?)



I must laugh. My mother never ever allowed me to go on hollydays abroad with a person the opposite sex the age she did. Luckely - that man later become my father. Hurray.
(my mother commented: We were fiancees. OK OK ) I must admit, as a man, well, you can see her grandchild Ingelin by scrolling down -

I do know where I grew up. In a house shared by at the most 4 families during post WW2 in Oslo, Norway
My grandfather (my fathers father) bought some land North of that house during the War.
On this photo I'm to the left - then"lillebjørn" (later sentenced as a murderer- Petter died 12 years old by cancer)


WW2 - that was a hard time in Norway. Not only due to cold Winters - but due to lack of food.
Luckely, my mother had a cousin in Denmark. She is number 3 from left. Photo taken at our home - Bygdøy - Oslo- From left: Marie Louise - Kari (cousin) - Margit (mothers cousin) - Bente (Margit's daughter) - Tone Britt (cousin) - Grandma Ella - Karl (grandpa) - me.

I was abroad for the first time in 1947 - to be fed up after WW2 - at least that is the reason I'm officially told- -- Copnehagen Central Railway station



But this photo - her brother(?) to the left his wife and my mother taken in Copenhagen-- A mystery for me. Taken by my father? When? It looks my mother at that time had a cell-phone

After going from one family photo album to another... well, I realize we are a family of adventures.


Marie Louise and B P in Stockholm -in the early 50'ies -That was at that time very sophisticated . If not born in Norway - My ps might have been a star. But religion...




Here is some more photos. It seems I did have a very lucky childhood - my mother also had a great time in the late 40ies and to the late 50ies. Just look here:
Ooophs. Shadow that - you know the one at the upper left photo. Do not click to enlarge. That will cost you . . . a comment

Here is some more - from our Badminton Field in the Garden. The 3 on top. The 2 at the bottom is about something very special. During WW2 - The Norwegians acted very traditionaly. But they were not allowed to show national Norwegian signs (by the Nazis) - so they went out picking berries in the Forests - in crowds. The 2 pics down here is from such a tour - which our family continued as a tradition. My mothers youngest brother was a car salesmanager, so he had a car (Cars were until 1960 not allowed to import/buy in Norway unless a very good business reason).

Look at that sweet


Summer memories from Bygdøy - the half Island where you will find the best and most unique maritime museums in the world - including Viking Ships, Kon Tiki, Ra etc

This was a great time for my mother
more to come ... as Old Lady in the Hills says

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your Mama! Hope that she has the best birthday week! All of your pictures are so beautiful, and it looks like you've had a very enriching and loving life!

October 13, 2007 3:16 am  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

OH dear Tor...Your mother was quite beautiful as a young woman---I'm sure she still is now, too...I LOVE Seeing all these pictures....Such history and so much beauty surrounding your Momma and you, etc,

88! Such a major milestone!

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TOR'S MOM!

October 13, 2007 3:17 am  
Blogger Gattina said...

I see you digged deeply in the past for your mother's birthday ! The first thing I noticed that the clothes and hairdos are exactly the same as in my old pictures, lol ! As a little girl I had my hair done the same way as your little cousins. My mother was the same age as yours with one year difference she was born in 1918, but she died 15 years ago. My father's birthday was also on October 12 ! I realized it when I saw the date. I didn't have a very good relationship with the people who were my parents. I hope your mom can see what you have done for her, it must have been a lot of work but done with a lot of love too ! I wish her a happy birthday !!

October 13, 2007 8:52 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely contribution to your mother Tor. This meme is done by a warm hearted son and it show you are proud of her - and have all the reasons to be so!

Your efforts - scanning these pics and taking us with down your memory lane is amazing.

Thank for also taking us with on the history of Norway after the WW2. I was born in 52 and my parents still had rational marks for me on sugar and butter when I was born. We got our first car in '64 right after the restriction was canceled.

Thanks again for sharing - it was a very nice, educating and readable post!

October 13, 2007 3:41 pm  
Blogger Maribeth said...

A very Happy Birthday to your Mama! SHe is such a beauty and seems she was always out and moving around doing exciting things! A life well lived!!!

October 13, 2007 4:11 pm  
Blogger MaR said...

This is such a lovely post, TorAa, I am sure your mother appreciates it! I am also sure she had a grand birthday and I have enjoyed being allowed to have a peek into your family album. Thanks for sharing and yes, I'd like some more!
Please??

October 13, 2007 4:17 pm  
Blogger A. said...

This is a wonderful post about your mother. A very happy birthday to her (a litle late, I'm sorry) and may she remain good health. She is the same age as my mother whose birthday was in April.

October 14, 2007 12:24 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I loved those old photos! What a great tribute to your mum! Happy belated birthday!

October 14, 2007 9:17 pm  
Blogger ghee said...

ohhh,how i love these balck and white pictures,Tor!!They all seem like actors/actresses in the movie :)

yes,werent you lucky in your childhood?you look like a very happy family. :)

October 18, 2007 6:28 am  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

You are so lucky to have so many pictures! Your mom was a real babe and your dad very handsome!

October 20, 2007 3:25 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home