Thursday, March 06, 2008

TT 13 March 6 - 2008

Did you know #2
1. In 1894, the president of the Royal Society, Lord Kelvin, predicted that radio had no future. The first radio factory was opened five years later. He also predicted that heavier-than-air flying machines were impossible. Today, there are more than one billion radio sets in the world, tuned to more than 33 000 radio stations around the world. The Wright Brother's first flight covered a distance equal to only half the length of the wingspan of a Boeing 747.
2. Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing.
3. The word posh, which denotes luxurious rooms or accomodations, originated when ticket agents in England marked the tickets of travelers going by ship to the Orient. Since there was no air conditioning in those days, it was always better to have a cabin on the shady side of the ship as it passed through the Mediterranean and Suez area. Since the sun is in the south, those with money paid extra to get cabin's on the left, or port, traveling to the Asia, and on the right, or starboard, when returning to Europe. Hence their tickets were marked with the initials for Port Outbound Starboard Homebound, or POSH.
4.
At latitude 60 degrees south you can sail all the way around the world.
5. You can cut a pie into 8 slices with only 3 movements

6 Leonardo Da Vinci invented the scissors.
7 Both humans and Cats have identical regions in the brain responsible for emotion
8 QANTAS, the name of the Australian national airline, is a (former) acronym, for Queensland And Northern Territories Air Service.
9 Almonds are members of the peach family.
10 Yucatan, as in the peninsula, is from Maya "u" + "u" + "uthaan," meaning "listen to how they speak," what the Maya said when they first heard the Spaniards.
11 Utigardfossen, the highest free-fall waterfall in Norway, drops 850 meter, 2788.7 feet - and is also the third highest in the world
12 Norway has hundreds of fjords, the largest is Sognefjorden , which is 204 Km long (nearly 126 miles)
13 In September 1752 the Julian calendar was replaced with the Gregorian calendar in Great Britain and its American colonies. The Julian calendar was 11 days behind the Gregorian calendar, so 14 September got to follow 2 September on the day of the change. The result was that between 3 and 13 September, absolutely nothing happened!.

Thats enough facts for this week. See other 13 on Thursday here

Labels: , , , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Sandee said...

Great history lesson, but Lord Kelvin wasn't very smart. Just saying. Have a great TT. :)

March 06, 2008 8:30 pm  
Blogger Maribeth said...

It is a good thing it was just a Thursday Thirteen list. Any more info and my head would explode! ROFLMAO!
No, really. It was a very informative and fun list!

March 06, 2008 8:47 pm  
Blogger lime said...

i love trivia. this was right up my alley

March 06, 2008 9:49 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

My ears and my nose are still growing???? Oh no... I´ll look like rabbifant in a few years!!!

Happy TT!

March 06, 2008 10:38 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

*off topic*

Takk for visiting my TT and your cute comment. Of course I know your beautiful wife is named Anna. How could I forget? It´s my granny´s name (mom´s mom)... she passed away when I was 6 years old and I still love her to pieces.

However... we decided against the name b/c we didn´t want to upset my PILS and my dad OR give Hamster 2.0 four names, icluding "Erna" - my dad´s mom´s name *wink*

March 06, 2008 11:10 pm  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Such interesting "facts"...I did not know the derivation for the word POSH...I love it!

I am not getting that three moves 8 slices bit....What?? (lol)

Anyway....this is all fascinating TorAa.....!

March 07, 2008 12:57 am  
Blogger TorAa said...

@OldOldLady Of The Hills: You cut the cake in 4 from the top - that's 2 movements. The 3rd movement is by cutting the cake into two layers. Then you got 4 x 2 = 8 pieces

March 07, 2008 1:16 am  
Blogger Forgetfulone said...

I actually knew #2! Go me! I didn't know most of this, though. Very interesting.

March 07, 2008 6:15 am  
Blogger Melli said...

I did know several of these! But I think #5 is going to keep me busy for awhile! Thanks for poppin' in yesterday!

March 07, 2008 7:28 am  
Blogger Hootin Anni said...

I always wondered what QANTAS meant...now I know. Interesting list.

March 07, 2008 12:48 pm  
Blogger Robin said...

I knew (and deeply regret) that our noses and ears keep growing, but I never knew that the eyes don't grow.

Very interesting list. I love the POSH explanation too.

March 07, 2008 2:00 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I wish that my nose and ears WOULD stop growing!

Hope you and Anna have a wonderful weekend, dear friend.

March 07, 2008 8:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dude! Thats a lot of facts....a lot of stuff i never thought about...thanks for updating me!!

March 08, 2008 12:23 am  
Blogger Forgetfulone said...

I tagged you for a meme today. 8 About Me. I hope you'll come take a look. forgetfulone.blogspot.com

March 08, 2008 7:22 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Et bien! J'en apprends des choses! Mais là il vaut mieux que j'écrive en français!
Bon dimanche Tor!

March 08, 2008 10:24 pm  
Blogger Shionge said...

Thanks Toraa..not I know :D

March 09, 2008 6:05 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home