Thursday, October 02, 2008

TT13 - TORsday - recipes from the Norwegian Kitchen - #3

A typical Fall/Autumn dinner in Norway

When we realize a short Summer is over here at 60 degrees North in Norway and the evenings became chilly and the nights once again are longer than the Days, then it’s about time to think about traditional season-food.

1

Pick up a large kettle

2

Pour in some water and make a thickening (flour and butter)

3

chop potatoes, if you do not have small organics in your Garden

4

chop carrots, if you do not have small organics in your Garden

5

Add some chopped green beans – from your Garden?

6

Add some chopped Leak – from your Garden?

7

Add some chopped pimentos or red/green pepper (Paprika) – from your Garden?

8

Add black pepper (at your own preference)

9

Add chopped parsley (you allways have those around)

10

Some chopped slices of Zuccinis/Squash – from your Garden?

11

Add some Lamb Meat (with bones – the type used to make Stew)

12

Add a good cook/chef (who have the knowledge of the different ingredients and patience enough to prepare and wait for the result)

13

Pay your Energy Bill and turn on the Heat at medium – let it cook slowly for a while when you relaxe with friends and/or familiy. Sniffing the heavenly smell before attacking the dish



Serve hot in Soup Plates. Water, white beer or neutral white wine can be served as beverages.

Vel bekomme – Bon Apetit – Welcome to the Norwegian Dinner Table;))


More to come on TORsday's "everybody can cook Norwegian series"

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful fall dish and so well made and served - delicious picture Tor!

I like this one very good (of course best when my Mom makes it :lol: )

Other than that, my fave fall dish from Norway is of course Fårikål.

October 02, 2008 10:56 pm  
Blogger Maribeth said...

Oh that looks wonderful. I'm copying the recipe!

October 02, 2008 11:01 pm  
Blogger Janet said...

mmm, that sounds delish, but I think I'll swap chicken for the lamb...not a fan of lamb! Thanks :-)

October 03, 2008 1:52 am  
Blogger lime said...

mmmm, i just ate dinner and yet i find myself hungry all over again!

October 03, 2008 1:53 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darn. Now I'm hungry AGAIN. *giggles*

It looks wonderful - perfect for a chilly day. We have similar recipes over here, but perhaps not with lamb.

October 03, 2008 2:26 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a bit tired - the clock is 02:26 am - I meant of course, that it's not so common with lamb. As a soup.

October 03, 2008 2:28 am  
Blogger Shionge said...

Whopee, some great idea this weekend Tor for me, now what can I replace squash & zuchini with???

Thanks for the treat :D

October 03, 2008 3:14 am  
Blogger Gattina said...

Looks delicious but a bit early for me it's only 8am !

October 03, 2008 7:54 am  
Blogger Helga Hansen said...

Ser deilig! Når skal vi spise?

October 03, 2008 8:41 pm  
Blogger JW said...

It looks delightful - in fact, it's making me feel hungry.

So, all I have to do is get a garden and a greenhouse, and grow all those ingredients ... I may as well raise the lamb at the same time I suppose. Then I need to track down a good Norwegian chef.

I do have the kettle and water :)

October 03, 2008 10:45 pm  
Blogger kuanyin333 said...

YUMMMM! I LOVE lamb stew, and yours looks positively scrumptious!

Sorry for the delay in getting backcatcha...but I've been so busy! I'm glad I waited though or I would have missed this wonderful lamb stew receipe! You must have a wonderful garden.

October 04, 2008 12:01 am  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Yuuuuuummmmmyyyyy!

Can I come over for dinner?
I do not have a Veggie Garden, I'm afraid, and I also don't have The Good Company of You and Anna...lol!

It truly looks so delicious, Tor!

October 04, 2008 2:01 am  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

That looks lovely.

October 04, 2008 8:53 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds absolutely delicious! Guess what I will be cooking this week :-)

October 04, 2008 9:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tor, write about the FOOD and COOKING and you will always see my response ;-) lol

I would like to try your recepie (sounds and definitely LOOKS De-Li-Cious) but as not Norvegian nor someone who knows your cousine I have some question about the recepy. Maybe I will ask a stupid question but... it does not hurt. My question is about the order of putting ingredients into the pot. Do you put everything at once (water, thickening, veggies, meat)? Or do you put one ingredient after the other? My "experience" with cooking tells me I should put meat as first, not last.
I will appreciate your clarification.

And second thing: could someone explain what "Fårikål" is? Thank you!

October 08, 2008 2:44 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home