Friday, October 02, 2009

Vacation report 8: Sancerre in Central France (Indre)

This weeks ABC - in Norwegian is here

We arrived Sancerre Village from West in the Departement of Indre, in central France.

See the village on the Hilltop and the wineyards just in front

In the Middle Age it was very common to establish villages on hilltops. Easy to defend from unwanted persons and bandits.

Here is my friend Claude? On his T-Shirt it's written: La Crosse and Wisconsin. We have both been to La Crosse, but not together.
We have known each other since 1967, when I worked in Paris.
See me? Mirrored in the Door. Hahaha. An Amateures failure.


This is a view from the Village Museum

Here is the Church

From the Market

Look at the wall to the right. Something special? And it's a River Valley down in the background. Known for many Castles among others: Loire Valley. See below



You can see the lower part of the Loire Valleys most Famous Wine Districts. I you
know something about White Wine, then you will recall some of the names.

Here, the River Loire in the distance. View from Sancerre Village.

On the other side of the Loire is Pouilly Fumé. Famous Wine District. Mostly White Wine. We have been both at the source of the River Loire in Massif Central, at the Contintental Divede in France - outled in the Mediterranean, Rhône, just North of Marseille and the Atlantic Ocean (Loire) close to Nantes (West of).

Then we are of course in Sancerre. We bought some cases of wonderful White Wine.
When bought in cases with 6 bottles, the price was around 12 Euros a bottle. One single bottle costs allmost 15 Euros. Excellent Quality. But, during the Financial Crises, this and other Wineries here have seen better times. To say it in a positive perspective.
We brought a case down to our blogger-meeting chez Claudie and Pierre. Good friends deserves good wines. Right?

80% of the Wine Production in Sancerre is White Wine.

The Village was founded 1000 years ago. It's very charming, situated on a Hill Top.
Recommended for much more than it's excellent Wines, of which 80% is White, some Rose but the most of the last 20% is Red Wine.
The Goat Cheese from the district is as well fabulous and delicious.
If you want to go to a Party Village, this is not the place.
But if you enjoy delicious food, wine, history and a beautiful nature, then it's worh exploring for a day or two.

Facts about Sancerre, it's fascinating history and Wines.
Just take your time.

More reports from our Vacation in France will soon arrive here on this blog.


Labels: , , , , ,

26 Comments:

Blogger Sandee said...

I've not a clue. Beautiful country though.

Have a terrific day. Big hug to you and Anna. :)

September 27, 2009 10:01 pm  
Anonymous RennyBA's Terella said...

I think I have a clue, but then again I know your steps through the summer by heart - so I guess it's not fare that I'm in the competition :-)

Have a great week ahead Tor and give Anna a big hug from us!

September 27, 2009 10:09 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well I think this looks like France and it does look like you can see an ocean instead of a big lake..

No clue really where but it could be near Monaco...

And yes of course I will always be heart and Soul in Switzerland. I do not think that will ever change. One way, one time to get closer somehow...

September 27, 2009 11:11 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

MY guess Toulon

September 27, 2009 11:13 pm  
Blogger Sandee said...

Nohant, France. That's where I think you are going. Am I right? Did I win?

Have a terrific day my friend. Big hug to you and Anna. :)

September 28, 2009 12:21 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well then maybe it's somewhere on the opposite coast? Issoudun or Nancy? I just don't have a clue yet...

September 28, 2009 12:39 am  
Blogger Sologbolig said...

Dette var spennande. By på toppen av ein kolle/haug og med vinrankar i forgrunnen ....... minner om Frankrike ???? Venter spent på neste bilde.

September 28, 2009 7:44 am  
Blogger ♥ Gamleheksa ♥ said...

En stakkars totning er nok litt på villspor her gitt.

Pass godt på små-pusene.

September 28, 2009 5:09 pm  
Blogger Sandee said...

Indre, France?

Have a terrific day. Big hug to you and Anna. :)

September 29, 2009 1:41 am  
Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

No, I don't have a clue, but they are beautiful photos and the places are so pretty, I'd like to visit there.

September 29, 2009 1:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

? ? ?

Big Hug :)

Zy

September 29, 2009 7:49 pm  
Blogger Shionge said...

South of France, South of France ;) Bordeaux?

September 30, 2009 2:21 am  
Blogger Vagabonde said...

I am not sure where this town is but it is in the wine area like the Loire Valley or Bordeaux. Happy birthday to your lady. Last Saturday was my younger daughter’s birthday and today is my elder daughter’s birthday, so it is a very good month. Well, not really because we came back from Canada to find a flood in Georgia. I posted some pictures of it on my blog.

September 30, 2009 2:54 am  
Blogger Ellen Whyte said...

Rouen? Nice pics!

September 30, 2009 2:56 am  
Blogger Shammickite said...

I know! You are.....
On vacation!!!!

September 30, 2009 10:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm I don't have a clue. I was thinking France though. Hmmm. I'll just wait when you reveal the location heheheh

October 01, 2009 12:41 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well it's definitely france. You can tell that by the buildings. IT could be anywhere though.. It's definitely known for it's wine's. Possibly Champagne or Bordeaux..

October 01, 2009 3:26 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh but then you say Castles.. For me, I love the Alsace region, so maybe you went there???? Rhine River Valley? a village near Colmar and Ribeauville.

October 01, 2009 3:29 am  
Blogger Sologbolig said...

Det e' noe med den kirka, eg er sikker på at eg har sett den, men kanskje det er på et bilde. Men nå har eg ikkje tid til å tenka meir, drar til Haugesund (men er tilbake i morra, kanskje du har fleire bilder da) ha ein god dag.

October 01, 2009 6:33 am  
Blogger MaR said...

Can't enlarge the pictures :(
I was looking for hidden tips!!
No idea.

October 01, 2009 2:51 pm  
Blogger Ellen Whyte said...

Hidden tips?! Subtle stuff, Tora!

October 02, 2009 4:27 am  
Blogger beaverboosh said...

Jeg vet ikke! Looks beautiful! God tur!

October 02, 2009 8:45 pm  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I remember Puoilly Fume...As I recall it was a delicious wine....This is such a charming Village, Tor....And by the way, I think that picture with you reflected in the door is very "artful"......!
You all sure had a grand time in France...So many lovely places and lovely people and lovely food and wine! What could be better!

October 04, 2009 10:25 am  
Anonymous claudie said...

I can still have the feeling the sancerre in my mouth...! It is an exceptionnal wine! Sancerre and Chinon + the casttles to visit! A dream through reality! Et voilà ton ami que tu as connu en 1967 à Paris!!! Je suis ravie de faire sa connaissance! Il doit avoir une sacrée cave à vin s'il vit dans la région du Sancerre!

October 04, 2009 4:20 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

wow - the last photo just touched my heart and brought me back to my first trip ever in 2001 to France, in paris and the south.. I really do miss that..

Great fun game you had going here.

October 10, 2009 5:50 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks

January 25, 2010 3:56 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home