Thursday, April 03, 2008

13 B- Cities and Towns visited




TT Thursday April 3 - 2008

Last Week I did start a journey – Cities/Towns I’ve visited around the World
beginning with the Letter A – This week they all begin with the letter B.

Let’s start this weeks travel: (This week also with a few private photos - want not make the post too long for you, my dear reader)

1-Bergen – Norway

Bergen, The Capital of the Norwegian Fiords, as seen from Floien Mountain. Just some minutes with the Cable Car from the City centre. Part of the City is on UNESCO's World Heritage list

2-BodoeNorway
(Nearby you'll find Saltstraumen - the Worlds most powerful malstroem - and you can even experience the Midnight Sun end of June)

3-Berlin – Germany
(My first visit was in 1965 - via that times DDR - we were lucky not shot at the Frontier between BRD and DDR. But that's another story - wich was written about in a Magazine)

4-Bonn – Germany
(Do you know which very famouse composer, beginning with todays letter, was born here?)

5-Basel – Switzerland
(Can you believe it - I've gone with a 20 feet motorboat from Norway to Basel/Bale in Switzerland - And don't laugh when I say: The Basel Harbour is large and important)

6-Balazuc – France

Here we are with friends in Balazuc, Chez Paulette (Cafe and Post Office), back in 1985. Anna is #3 from left. I'm in the middle. Ingelin (7) is sitting on Patrique's lap (A very good friend from Nivelles/Charleroi in Belgium - several visits - he even stayed with us for a couple of months in Norway) and Mats 10 years old to the right. What a great time and memory. We went to Balazuc for 6 concecutive Summers

7-Bordeaux – France
(If you like excellent wine, seafood, culture and soccer, plus have a short way to Europes best Beaches, Highest sand dunes and best surfing conditions, besides visiting the fabulous river valleys in SW France, then this is the city to visit)

8-Besancon – France
(Victor Hugo was Born here - the citadelle is special and the River Doubs as well. I know the river from my Europe on rivers and channels tour in 1965)

9-Blois – France
(Castles, history, La Loire and wine - - French - British battles for centuries)

10-Bruxelles – Belgium
(Capital of Europe - serach on RennyBA and Gattina's blogs)

11-Bratislava – Slovakia -

The Presidents Palace in Bratislava. Enlarge to see the "floating" Globe in front

12-Buenos Aires – Argentina nos_Aires

Anna and Ingelin in Buenos Aires, December 2007. Go looking for more in my Blog Archive.

13-Benton Harbour - USA

Enlarge and you'll see the Lighthouses of St. Joseph and Benton Harbour (twin cities at the outled of St Joseph river in SW Michigan, USA) behind me and my son Mats

Go to Thursday (TORsday) Thirteens Homepage. It's very interesting what you can learn from bloggers TT. At first hand I did not realize, but now I see, it's much more than blah, blah about myself

Have a great rest of the week
FYI - My Internet Provider has had problems lately - which in turn has left me more or less offline (I'm very patient - this post I did start writing 12 hours ago - working from my home office has by all means been lots more frustrating). Hence, excuse me for not commenting as I should the past Days. Now it's afterMidnight, so I'll commenting your blog on Friday.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Shammickite said...

That last pic of benton Harbour.... I have walked the whole length of the pier with the lighthouses (behind you). Very nice spot!

April 04, 2008 2:59 am  
Blogger Shionge said...

You are so sweet and what a nice alphabet blog..I was in Bordeaux too and I just love it :D

Have a nice weekend too :d

April 04, 2008 4:05 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is not just blah, blah, blah. I think it's very interesting! It gives me ideas for places to visit.

Our internet connection has been wonky for the past couple of weeks and the internet provider has blamed it on the oil wells! lol I hope it works better for you tomorrow.

April 04, 2008 5:51 am  
Blogger Gattina said...

I wonder if I could put up so many cities with the letter B ! You know that I am celebrating end May 50 years in Brussels ? I don't remember the exact date but it was between the 15 and 31st ! I lived there for 20 years and then in Waterloo but it is only 15 km away from Brussels.

April 04, 2008 7:00 am  
Blogger Gattina said...

BTW look here A friend sent me this video cartoon it is sooooo funny and true !! This guy must know cats !!

April 04, 2008 7:06 am  
Blogger MaR said...

I think it's time you visit Barcelona so that you can include it next time you make this list :)
Hope your internet provider solves all problems, it's always a nightmare when something like that happens...
Happy weekend !!

April 04, 2008 9:19 am  
Blogger Ed Mahony said...

Good idea for a post.

Of these, I have only been to Blois. Went on a school trip organized by a monk. He had a terrible time as we spent our time letting off cracker rockets under his habit. That is all I remember of Blois, and of the monk chasing us down its streets.

Sorry bit of a crazy story ..(but true).

Did you visit the cave where they store wine there? The castle in the middle of Blois was quite impressive if I remember rightly (?)

April 04, 2008 11:15 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ah yes, as you know I know Benton Harbor well. You are quite the world traveler my friend.

Best to you and Anna for a wonderful weekend

April 05, 2008 1:35 am  
Blogger Maribeth said...

So much I still need to see. I did, however live in Berlin for a while back in 1989.

April 05, 2008 3:02 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

you have really toured! And Basel - what a beautiful city, I only wished I had more time to enjoy it. I did go across the Rhine though!

April 05, 2008 4:25 pm  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

This is a fun idea TorAa.....And it is fodder for 26 posts...LOL!
You have been a lot of places, my dear....! It is fun to see these pictures from long ago as well as recent ones.

Thanks so much for your very dear comment on my post about my mother. You overwhelm me with your compliments...But I do dearly Thank Youu, Tor...

April 05, 2008 6:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a lot of B's! Among these cities (I know most of the French ones, Brussels etc.), I think Buenos Aires is my favorite. Loved the place... Italian and Latino feelings mixed in one place.

April 07, 2008 3:51 am  
Blogger Desert Diva said...

I've been to a few of those places - thanks for the memory!

I heard that you and Anna hosted Renny for a gourmet dinner - it looked delicious!

April 07, 2008 5:58 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've immediately made me wonder about all the places I've visited! Out of yours, Blois, Besacon, Bordeaux and Brussels. And I'll raise you Biarritz and Beaune :)

April 07, 2008 4:30 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home