Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A short report from Oslo in February 2011

Hello dear readers,
this is a short report from Oslo, Norway.
Foggy and frosty Sunday - snow on branches
The Pine outside my Home Office

It’s still Winter with Snow and even more of the white crystals is expected in the Days to come. Not much, but fresh and white.
 DSC_0236
Hvervenbukta, Oslo – February 12-2011

After some shopping last Saturday, I went down to the Beach. Some people tried to walk on the Ice. Most went walking in the Sunny and wind-free weather.
DSC_0241
View of inner part of Oslofjord towards western hills 

This part of Oslofiord (Bunnefjorden) was frozen. But I would not take the risk go walk out on the Ice. Bunnefjorden is a bi-fjord to the main Oslofjord. It goes about 40 km (25 miles) south-east from Oslo.
DSC_0234
Fishing on Sea Ice

Some did – and they were fishing. They use manual Ice-drills and drill a hole in the Ice and then start Fishing. Several good (White) Fishes for eating in the fjord. Besides a wonderful day out in the nature and Sunshine. It's pleasant if you wear the right clothes;-)
DSC_0239
Cruiseliner heading South

In the background I could see the Cruiseliner heading south from Oslo to Kiel in Germany. A most excotic cruise this time of year. On board you have all the fascilities you expect on a cruise ship. Besides it is the largest car-ferry on this planet. In Norway, of all places;-)
DSC_0235
Snow on Bench

I would have liked to sit down, but you see why I’ll wait for that until Summer. You see we have mostly wind from North during the Winter. How can you see that? Shadows, time of year and lattitude. And of course: The Snow.
DSC_0187
Lillis controls everything everywhere

I went home to a pleasant Winter Home. To Anna and the 3 Cats.

PS. Our Car was delivered for 120.000 km service to day. Due to the impact of road salting during winter, all the brake systems needed to be replaced (rust). The price: For me and Anna: 4 flight tickets Norway – USA – Norway; in peak season. Grrrr.

Have a great rest of the week. I might report more often in the future, so keep looking for more excotic news from the Nordics here on my blog.

What's up in Oslo the Weeks to come, except some hundreds live concerts?
The World Championship in Nordic Skiing


PS. Lillis still lives with us. And she will

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Ozkatt said...

I'm glad Lilli is still with you. I think she's rather special.

What breathtaking photos of the winter in Oslo, Tor. You have snow, we have cyclones and floods. Not sure which is worse!

I have a new blog now so I hope you come and visit.

Cheers

Robyn

February 17, 2011 2:09 am  
Blogger Sandee said...

I like spring, summer and fall here. Winter not at all. It's beautiful, but it's just not for me.

Lillis is a cutie pie, but you already know that.

Wow, that's and awfully expensive car repair. See another reason to not like snow...road salting.

Have a terrific day. Big hug to you both. :)

February 17, 2011 2:38 am  
Anonymous Return to norway said...

Winter is beautiful isn't it! Lovely Photos! Can't wait for vinterferien-bought a Snowboard for the Occasion-for the Kids of course uhum...

February 17, 2011 10:10 am  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

Your winter is exactly as I'd expect Norway's to be, Tor: BEAUTIFUL. And it looks like we'll get to see Lilli after all! :)

February 17, 2011 1:21 pm  
Blogger Ola said...

Looks terribly cold, and here is also snowing after a week of almost spring:)

February 17, 2011 1:21 pm  
Blogger Maribeth said...

Oh I am so glad you are keeping Lillis! I hoped you would! She simply seemed to fit into your home.

February 17, 2011 9:06 pm  
Blogger Shionge said...

Wow!!! The snow is going to take a long time to melt huh? Thanks for the update Tor.

February 18, 2011 1:51 am  
Blogger La.. said...

Hei hei Tor ! Beutifull photos from my lovely Oslo : )

A big hug ( in Ibiza its sunshine but a lillte cold , aroud 14 c )

Maria

February 18, 2011 5:11 pm  
Anonymous RennyBA's Terella said...

You've captured the winter spirit in Norway so well!

Happy Weekend to both of you :-)

February 18, 2011 9:28 pm  
Blogger MaR said...

Beautiful winter! Just got back from summer in the Southern Hemisphere ;)
The almond tree in my garden greeted me back with beautiful blossoms!

February 20, 2011 1:19 pm  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Sorry I haven't been around, my dear....It has been a very sad time here...If you come by my blog you will know why.

February 21, 2011 10:56 am  
Blogger lime said...

i'm sitting here reading blogs and looking out the window to see my own fresh fallen snow. hoping work is closed so i can curl up by the fire.

wishing you a good week as well.

February 21, 2011 3:30 pm  
Anonymous Lifecruiser Travel Blog said...

Lovely winter pics. Lillis is adorable! Simply adorable!

February 25, 2011 3:41 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lilli is great and beatiful! Lovely winter pictures from Oslo!
Kisses and hugs.

February 25, 2011 7:54 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home