Monday, June 11, 2007

My favourite berries

Childhood Spring and Summer memories

To day, June 11, is my brothers birthday. He is 4 years younger than me. He remember everything from the past. As I do remember when thw wild flowers first come in Spring (BD April 10) he rembers when a.o. the Wild Strawbeeries are ripen. This year it's extremely early. June 11.(the first we picked in October last year - but that's something else).For me, Wild Strawberries is among my top memories from childhood.

I grew up very close to the "Royal Forest" in Oslo. In late March and early April, all the kids in our tiny road went into the Forest to look for the first sign of Blue Anemones. Some years we found the first ones in early March. Normally it was about April 5-15.

My cousin, living in the neighbouring house, when we were young, are born on April 25 - same year as I. Then we looked for Wood Anemone.


The point was, He had to give me a buquet of Blue Anemones to
my Birthday, and I had to give him Wood Anemones, 15 days later. Most years, we succeed. This was just after WW2 - and evrybody in Norway was poor and struggled to survive. Think then about, what gift it was: Selfpicked flowers from the Forest.

Well then, back to June. And today.

My absolute best memories, and still what I love the best from berries: Wild Strawberries.As young, we put them on straws. We have plenty in the Garden. It's only June 11.

Here is Mondays dinner - Fish Cakes - if you ponder

On Radio today, they discussed to transport Polar Bears to Antartica.

Have a wonderful week.

Labels: , , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Shionge said...

Happy Birthday to your Brother Toraa and what a wonderful childhood memory :)

Those wild berries are gorgeous :)

June 12, 2007 3:02 am  
Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

I haven't had wild strawberries since I was a kid! I'd forgotten about them...thank you for reviving that memory for me.

Can I put in an order for some fish cakes? Those look really delicious.

Have a wonderful week.

June 12, 2007 12:54 pm  
Blogger MaR said...

Happy belated bday to your brother! We picked wild tiny strawberries last year in the French Alps, very tasty and oh, so beautiful!!
Your wild flowers are wonderful! self picked flowers from the forest sounds so pretty and they look that way too!
Your dinner looks delicious, TorAa!!!

June 12, 2007 7:59 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

If there is something I enjoy very much on a nice summer day is picking wild strawberries while having an afternoon walk.

fiskekake!!! Renny had fiskekake photo too. Love them!

June 12, 2007 11:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are lovely photos - from my childhood too. Love the strawberries.

Only problem is: you got me hungry with you pictures and now I have to eat some night sandwiches!

BTW: I've updated the steamships post with a link to more photos now...

June 13, 2007 2:08 am  
Blogger Shammickite said...

A small bunch of wild flowers would be a wonderful birthday gift, but my birthday is in November and here in Canada, sometimes there is snow on the ground at that time. I love the strawberries threaded onto a grass stem, I have never seen that before. But I think I would rather eat them.

June 13, 2007 4:44 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh strawberries! Yum! Love the story and the picture.

June 13, 2007 3:00 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Tor, this is a wonderful story about you and your brother and your friends. Special memories for certain! Small gifts like that from the heart are the most memorable.

June 13, 2007 3:58 pm  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

What wonderful memories TorAa....Those past---especially right after the war----poignant and sweet. And today, too! I cannot see or hear or read the phrase Wild Strawberrie, without thinking of that Bergmann film of the same name. Did you ever see that? If not, you might like to find it....Especially given your love of Wild Strawberries...!

June 13, 2007 11:53 pm  
Blogger Suzann said...

What a lovely post Toraa - we used to pick berries when I was a child and put them on straws too. I love your comments on my blog - thank you. Your friend in MN

June 14, 2007 3:41 am  
Blogger Andree said...

I am going to look for those flowers in my woods too: they are so pretty. I found (for the first time!) ripened wild strawberries in my yard! The whole yard front and back is covered in them but the woodchucks and birds usually get them and I have never seem them ripened. I took a photo for the occasion. I wish I could put them on ice cream, but other animals need them more than me!

June 14, 2007 5:25 pm  
Blogger Heart of Rachel said...

Belated Happy Birthday to your brother. I think wild strawberries in your area is amazing. We don't have any here because they only grow in the cold northern part of the country. Lovely flowers! The meal looks delicious.

I'll just come back for your photo hunt. Take care!

June 16, 2007 2:27 am  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Wild strawberries are the best! I love that you have such tasty and vivid memories! I do too!

June 19, 2007 4:16 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home