Sunday, January 14, 2007

A risky Business - once again

Papa goes shopping Anna gave me a long shopping list this morning. Long as a catastrophe. And kindly asked me to return 4 plastic sacs with empty bottles. (We pay deposit for almost every bottle, except wine and liquer, in this regulated country).

- You have promised to do so for weeks, and it’s not one day too early to do it today
- Of course, I’ll do that my dear, just handle me your Visa Card
- Just a moment. Here it is.
- Thanks. Eh, where is the shopping list? (I had put it back on the table) Can you put it together with your Visa?
- Don’t forget to buy dinner for tonight. I’ll prefer fish.
- OK – Ok, I’ll fix

Off I went, with the 4 plastic sacs filled up with empty bottles – mostly plastic, but also some of glass. Nice sound from squeking glass.
Pressed the remote garagedoor opner and flung the plastic sacs back in my station car. On the road again – on a sunny Saturday morning – well morning? 10 am. Little trafic. Where to shop? Yes, I go to Jacob’s (Have won the award of best european grocery-shop). In Oslo, Norway. Surprised?
After ten minutes ride, I was there. The food-shoppers paradise. Parked just outside the exit/entrance. Picked up my carriage and I was in heaven.

- Hm, let me see what’s on the shoppinglist. Bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla. Nothing but boring stuff, and here I am in foodlovers paradise. No way, I do it MY way.

Descission made. Straight forward to the fruit and vegetables. Picked up some exotic examples of this and that. Then mineralwater: Voss and San Pellegrino and Orangina.
- Milk? Oh yah (I don’t drink milk, but Anna does). Picked up according to list + cream + 1 kg real butter. (Little more than 2,2 pounds)
- Let met think. Cheese? Found some rare ones from small Norwegian producers. Very expensive. Genuin Roquefort you can have for half the price. And some fresh olivebread. And some vanilla slices (Napoleons kaker). Yum, yum.

Papa goes shopping. A risky business for the household budget.

To the fresh fish department. Let me see, what can you offer today? Wolffish filets for USD 15 a kilo. Not bad. In fact a good offer. What else? Cod, halibut, saumon, trout, artic char? Neeeh. Oh, whats that? Turbots. Whole Turbots. Descission made. Price? Never mind (USD45), I will have one. A whole one for two persons. Great. Rushed back to the fruits and vegs. Lemon (organic), spinach (organic), potatoes (organic).

After an hour, papa finished his paradise adventure.

Dinner for two at Home UDS 275 + wine for Anna (I have my seasonal white periode after the holyday festivitas).

Back home, with 6 plastic sacs filled up with Delikatessen, one newspaper and a small yar with washing liquide.

- It’s the last time I handle you my Visa for foodshopping.

Papa goes shopping is a risky business.

The good thing is we will have delicious fishsoup for two more dinners.

PS. The Turbot was heavenly. And Anna very satisfied. With other words: Success.

Labels:

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha that sounds like my kind of shopping trip!

January 14, 2007 4:41 am  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I love when my husband does the food shopping! He always brings home much more than was on the list and lots of yummy surprises! (No junk food or cookies though!)

January 14, 2007 5:45 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is always like this when I take my son food shopping. Loves to buy many many things. I do love my S. Pellegrino though. :-)

January 14, 2007 5:57 am  
Blogger Lynn said...

Well who could have done better than fresh turbot. Most Canadians don't buy groceries with a visa card. Those who have a points benefit plan on their credit card, for travel or for a car, or cash back will use it. In Canada we use a card called debit. It is not like the US debit card which is a line of credit account attached to a credit card. Our debit cards are directly attached to our bank account. We can pay with the card using a pin number by machine right at the till, or we can go to an ATM machine and take out the cash to spend. I usually have no cash on me. This is safe for sure, but in the face of mass disaster it is not a great idea. We had a power failure that lasted a few days one August. The eastern United States and Canada in Ontario and a bit of Quebec had absolutely no power for about 3 days in high heat. Well I had no cash. And no business could use electric cash registers for business. I think we had to borrow cash off the kids to purchase propane to cook with.

January 14, 2007 6:04 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

with what you described, that sounds awesome! I love splurging as I call it from time to time. And your taste in drinks is so wonderful. ;-)

Yummy!

January 14, 2007 6:44 am  
Blogger Raquel said...

I admire you in doing the shopping. Sad to say, I don't trust my husband, you know men, la-la-la! Hi-hi-hi...

January 14, 2007 6:54 am  
Blogger Photocat said...

Such a great post - makes me want to visit Oslo and shop for fish and bring my camera!

January 14, 2007 7:21 am  
Blogger y.Wendy.y said...

LOL - my Dad used to shop like too! He loved to take a few little luxuries. Drove my Mom batty!

Now tell me...the currency you mentioned..is that US Dollars? Because if so, heavens it is EXPENSIVE in Norway!

January 14, 2007 10:16 am  
Blogger Shionge said...

Yay! What a trip and it's good that you get a feel at 'paradise'. You see you are on the safe path with a shopping list, I shop without one ahhahahah.....

January 14, 2007 3:45 pm  
Blogger RennyBA said...

Wooow TorAa; you're a great story teller. Glad you found what you where looking for and on a Sunday in Norway when most of the shops are closed!
It reminds me of our 'shopping trip in Mariedstad, Sweden, but then again it was our wife's who where shopping and we had all the fun:-)
The fish looks delicious - hope you had a great dinner and that the white wine tasted good too!

January 14, 2007 4:08 pm  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

Tor, I declare! You need to write a column for your daily newspaper! Seriously!

January 14, 2007 7:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, sounds like a normal day shopping with the hungry monster - me ;-)

I have to EAT something before going shopping otherwise it's wayyyy tooo much! *lol*

Well, you've earned to enjoy some more delicious stuff after all that hard shopping....

January 14, 2007 8:07 pm  
Blogger Shammickite said...

Oh yesssss! Wonderful food to buy, turbot, olive bread, cheese, my mouth is full of anticipation! Yesterday we had HAGGIS. Read my blog to find out about our Robbie Burns Scottish Supper.

January 14, 2007 8:42 pm  
Blogger TorAa said...

@TO ALL OF YOU: THANK YOU FOR ALL THE SWEET AND SHEERING AND JOYFUL COMMENTS. I'm very grateful.

PS. We had a blast eating fish-soup to day. Anna really can cook.
@Ginnie: I'm flattered.You see, when as Assistent editor for a Trade Magazine many, many years ago, I had my own commenting column. Before that, I published my own magazine at school, filled up with crazy stuff.
And now, only serious business matters. Grief.

January 14, 2007 10:16 pm  
Blogger cheH said...

Papa goes shopping is a risky business---true!hehehe BUT,I love it when husbands takes charge,wrinkle free on wifey's part lol

have a nice week ahead tor!

January 15, 2007 1:31 am  
Blogger Gattina said...

Ha, ha, ha, that's why I never send Mr. Gattino for shopping ! If he would, then we would go bankrupt ! We too have strict rules for bottles. Glass bottles are usually given back (as yours) and for plastic bottles and cans we have to have a special garbidge bag. It's a real garbidge filing !
"See" you tomorrow with your cat !

January 15, 2007 8:19 am  
Blogger ShadowFalcon said...

How on earth did she get you to do it? My husband will only shop for groceries online, If I gave him a shopping list he'd cry. Or go to the shop ignore the list and buy dvds.

January 15, 2007 9:50 am  
Blogger TorAa said...

@Gattina: In Norway it goes like this: You buy a bottle with Water, soda, limonade, beer etc, and on top of price for the content, you pay a deposit.
When you return the empty bottles, (in automats), you got a receit equally the deposit you've paid, and then present the receit to the cashier.95% are returned.
Winebottles and "foreign" bottles had to be deposited in large containers. So with all kind of papers, building materials, el-equipment, plastic, chemicals and God knows what. We are sooo reasonable.
@Shadowfalcon: I do the shopping, while Anna reads the papers and do the household and the coocking.
That way there allways be some food surprises. Surprised.
I prefere blogging over TV and DVD's. I don't like to be passive:D.
Have a nice week

January 15, 2007 10:58 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love shopping at Jacobs. Whenever I am in Oslo, I see to it that I pass by our old district and go to Jacobs. Everything is so delicate and perfect! :)

January 18, 2007 10:40 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home