Sunday, February 11, 2007

Sunday - February 11 - 2007

Papa goes shopping without memo, and walks to the Sea Saturday is our main shopping day. Anna does a list of what we need for the week to come.
And Papa supplies. That’s called team-work. Papa does the shopping-job, and Anna pays.
That’s fair, isn’t it? Let me add: We have more severe bills to pay, than food and other household goods.
Last Saturday I went late to bed. Slept long. Maybe, due to some blog activities, the night before and Anna’s Gala adventure. But the early afternoon was bright.
Well into the shop, I looked for the shopping list. It was not in any of my 9 pockets. Guess, who felt stupid? Papa, of course.
Picked up the Cell phone and a tired Anna answered: Just the regular we need. Not a clue.

The only thing Papa knew was: Pollock for the Cats. And some veggies – but they were more or less out of organic. We buy organic if we can get hold of it for a simple reason: The others have in average lost 60% of their minerals and vitamins (Apples 80%), and who knows what they contain of ingredients you would avoid to know. (Just look around and discover all the food products that are added with vitamins and minerals – to end up about natural + conservation ingredients and coloring. Linus Pauling stated that every desease can be tracked back to lack of minerals).

Well, well, papa shopped as good as he could. But without the list, he felt a bit free as well. After supermarket he carried on into the Veg- and Fruit Market. Two bags filled up. Yummi.

Back in the car, what did papa discover? The shopping list, of course. Going back? No. Buy the rest in the local store. Another two bags.

SUNday Feb 11-2007.
Out with the garbage and refill the Cat-litter. Oh, it’s heavy to bring out.
Went for a short tour to the beachfront. Historical, non preserved place. Today used for recreation and bathing during Summer. Once it was a Mansion here. It was build in 1765 by a very rich man, named Peder Holter. The Mansion was called Stubljan, after the owner of a much older farms situated in the same area (1630). Peder Holter was in his time among the richest
persons in Norway, and some of the enterprises he ruled, still exists (Hafslund and Borregaard) In 1771 he married a woman, 26 years younger than himself, Maren Juel. Maren Juel became in 1786 Norways most wealthy widow, 37 years old, and from the on she ruled the Mansion and properties herself. Five years later, she married Ole Christopher Wessel, brother of a famous writer, Johan Hermann Wessel.
The fortune was founded on timber and waterfalls (Sawmills), which was the most important export industry, besides fishing and grewing mining activities in Norway at that time.

The Mansion burned down in 1913. Besides the ruins of the main house, only some sidebuildings left. The doormen’s houses (Art Galleries today), the Bathhouse (popular Summer café, with beautiful sunsets ) and the Main Gardner’s house (Summer kiosk). A few hundred yard away it has been timber activities until last year. Once it was more than 150 people in work her. The old hydropower station is today an auto repair shop.










Black and white pictures to the right, from top to bottom:
1) The Mansion on A Cristmas Card from 1904
2) View from seaside
3) View from behind
4) The Chief Gardners House
5) The Powerstation






Wish all my readers an exciting week.

=^.^=

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Irish Church Lady :) said...

Lovely pictures. I'm glad managed to get your shopping done without the list. So many times that happens, we make a list to not forget anything and then we forget the list!!

February 12, 2007 1:18 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, indeed lovely pictures. and probably your grocerys too. eventually :-)

I thought that I should make you curious of my new post about A-Team Cruisers... *lol*

February 12, 2007 2:17 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm lost without my own list at the grocery. I like to buy organic too, and very fresh if possible.

I love the photos here. The sea looks so inviting, even if it is so very cold!

February 12, 2007 3:04 am  
Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

If I forget my shopping list and shop without it, I end up spending twice as much money buying things, "just in case I needed them".

Thank you for the interesting history and the photos...just a tad too cold for me, though!

Enjoy your week and hi to the cats.

February 12, 2007 5:14 am  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Today, I did the shopping and I forgot the cat food! That's one of the main things I went for! I'll go back tomorrow...the store's close and there are a few bites left for them to munch!!

(That rich young widow sure had a nice mansion to live in!)

February 12, 2007 5:33 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, thank you for walking us down memory lane which is such a long time ago, I've enjoyed it. So rich in culture & history Toraa :D

Hmmm...coming back to shopping spree, I usually tell my D some simple usual grocery items too :D

In case you think I comment anonymously, no, it's me....Shionge, just the blogger thingy again :(

Have a great week ahead Toraa :D

Luv
Shionge

February 12, 2007 8:58 am  
Blogger y.Wendy.y said...

Oh what lovely piccies! It's beautiful chez toi! You're giving me a bit of a lust to visit Norway...I've never thought about exploring those Northern parts but now I wonder. Hmmm.

And Tor? 9 pockets? Good grief.Men!

February 12, 2007 10:30 am  
Blogger Gattina said...

I always have to laugh about your shopping stories ! Every week you are in war with your shopping list! I have to think about a special invention for you !
The beachfront looks lovely and the story of the old mansion was interesting. yesterday evening I saw a docu about the german U-boat which had been found at Norways coast. A U48 something interesting story. But I have also noticed the beautiful coast line in Norway ! It's a pitty that it's not a little warmer there !
What happened to your pictures ? They are so colorful as if your camera were boozed (or you ?)

February 12, 2007 3:06 pm  
Blogger Raquel said...

How sweet about your shopping story. Usually this responsibility is to the wife only.

I love the photos Tor, they are cool!!!

February 12, 2007 9:26 pm  
Blogger Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Wonderful pictures, I love anyplace near water.

My husband also does the shopping since he retired. So far he has not forgotten the list.

February 13, 2007 12:26 am  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

That was so Mercury Retrograde, Tor--forgetting or mislaying the grocery list. PAY ATTENTION! Ha.

I love your history lesson, of course, and as always!

February 13, 2007 3:20 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home