Thursday, May 10, 2007

Thursday - TORsdag Thoughts

It was back in about 1980, Anna, my oldest son Ruben and I went to a movie theatre to see a Dutch film: Max Havelaar.

That film did something with me. Respect. Human Rights. Peace.

I just tell you this in short. Reason is clear: If you, my dear reader, will respect other people, then you can do it by understanding. And even every time you shop. Yes. You can give your small attribution to making this planet a better place to live for people that struggle for life. People that do not even now what Internet and Blogging is about. No education. They can not afford to be on the net, as we do. Or, they do not have a simple internet connection available, as me for the time being – in our summer home.

It’s so easy to do it. I mean to give a small contribution every day:

Buy products with the “FAIRTRADE or the “Max Havelaar” symbols.

You can buy fruit and vegetables, coffee and even wine.

There might other product categories too, so please share with your own blogging friends.

Do what we bloggers can do: Action. Say what you mean. Shop Fairtrade.

Do not wait for our Governments to take actions. They are on elections and try their best to be re-elected by short time issues. All over the World. No matter if “left “ or “right”. Do think and write about a much longer perspective – for a World with Peace, Respect and Human Rights. (1789).

As was said in the small village Balazuc in 1989 (200 years celebration of the Declaration of the Human Rights – often called The French Revolution):

Here with friends in Balazuc (reproduced from an old slide)

"We who are living 200 years after the Declaration of the Human Rights have still a long road to walk to obtain what you told us 200 Years ago. We hope you that will celebrate the 3rd centennial after the declaration will live in a much better world."

I love you all.

Labels: , , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger MaR said...

You are very right, TorAa, excellent point! and very well said.

May 10, 2007 11:24 pm  
Blogger Shionge said...

Thank you for raising this awareness..I will Toraa..I will do as you said.

May 11, 2007 3:16 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

i totally agree. we also try to buy locally as much as we can and support our local stores as much as possible.

May 11, 2007 5:03 am  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Yes, you're right and the free trade coffee is REALLY good!

May 11, 2007 6:23 am  
Blogger Lynn said...

My Sons educated Carl and I on Fair Trade.
For the last year we have been really conscious of this concept in business and production.
I sell my own products in fair trade. I do my retail sale on consignment, and the retailer and I win. I also honour other local businesses for my supplies so they can get something too.
The area where I live was founded on the Fair Trade practices of the Children of Peace, which were Quakers who settled in Ontario.
We use Fair Trade yarn. Made in countries in Ecuador and Peru by village co-operatives, the profits go back to the community to fund a school.

May 11, 2007 8:53 am  
Blogger Shammickite said...

I try to shop and buy Fair Trade products as much as I can.
I also take my own reuseable shopping bags to the store... try not to use plastic pags. But sadly I don't see many people doing that.
Have a happy summer at your summer home, Mr Tor!

May 11, 2007 2:56 pm  
Blogger lime said...

i think you are right on..especially about not waiting for government. do what we know is right and pressure government to do it, but don't wait for them to set the standard...

May 11, 2007 4:29 pm  
Blogger Gattina said...

I agree with you but there are a lot of doctors, professors, politicians etc who hardly know what Internet means, if they do ! Our doctor still writes everthing down on little carton files (for each patient one) and wouldn't even look at a computer !

May 11, 2007 5:47 pm  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I agree Tor...You don't have to look very far to see the inequities of life....We should all be more generous with our care, in every way.

It must be hard not having an Internet connection in the Summerhouse....But having it at work is better than not having it at all...(lol)

May 11, 2007 6:43 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is an excellent post Tor. I try to buy from local merchants for our fresh fruits and vegetables during the summer. I mainly shop at Whole food stores that offer many Fair Trade products.

I hope you and Anna have a glorious weekend in the Summerhouse.

May 11, 2007 11:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post and I'm ashamed to say that I've never heard of Fairtrade before this!!!!

Butt I will for sure keep my eyes open after reading this :-)

I hope you're having a wonderful time in the summerhouse, not too cold.

We've had unpredictable and a bit chilly weather here now.

I hope you get some internet connection soon, we miss you a lot :-)

Sunday it's a cruise stop in Hamburg, Monday Greek Festival.

Hugs to you and Anna and the real rulers of the house ;-)

May 13, 2007 12:48 am  
Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

That is a wonderfully thoughtful post. Well done,you.

May 13, 2007 11:46 am  
Blogger Just Sharlene and the Spice Cats said...

Felicia has been tagged with a meme, "7 random facts about me". Check out my blog for details!

May 14, 2007 5:36 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home