Thursday, September 04, 2008

TORsday - recipes from the Norwegian Kitchen - with some word spices

Happy TORsday
Instead of Thursday 13, I will introduce Norwegian Cooking (might have some influences from other cultures as well). What most of my dear readers might not know: Norwegians Chefs have won the unofficial world championship in master cooking several times- Bocuse d'Or (also the European). Surprised? I think so.
Some of my readers my remember I gave my DIL a present when I was over the Pond visiting in early August this year? I wrote about papa that did make dinner for the two of them. Yeah?


This is the Book I brought from Norway. My DIL now uses it and makes great dishes. Hurray.
The good thing with the recipes here, is the fact: Cooking made simple and quick in a busy life, based on real, basic materials (100% control of what you eat - nearly)

Some Facts before you read this weeks recipe.
You know the truth about Vikings? They are rather shy. And allways struggled for survival. As close to the North Pole they did and still live. They even went to Iceland, Greenland and Vinland (North-East Canada and USA) to find a better place to cook - more than 1000 years ago.
Then for about 140 years ago, they went to the "Promised Land" in North Dakota. Still 33% of the North Dakotians are of Norwegian heritage.


I'll start with something that many of my readers may have misunderstood. Treathend species or animals.
Starter: Haricots Verte with real farm butter
Main Dish:
Whale sirloinded with fresh, organic potatoes and gravy sauce.
Dessert:
Fresh, organic berries with vanilla sauce or Ice Cream.
Finnish with:
Tiny cup of Espresso (Sugar if preferred, but cane sugar) and a tiny piece of Chocolade - at least 85% Cocoa.
You may also enjoy it with Calvados (young) - or plain fresh water (not ice-water) .

Avoid Sweets

Then comes to fun: How to get hold of the ingredients?

Start early in the Spring. Dig out a field for your Haricot beans. Then buy some seeds. And plant the seeds. Look after the "Bean-field" carefully throught the Summer. Check and be aware of dryness.
Pick the Haricots when ripe.
Wash them and let them dry on neutral paper towels.
Then put them in boiling water for a minute or so, depending on seize.

When digging a field for your Beans, also dig a small land for your favourite Potatoes.
Let them grow naturally. But, don't forget Potatoes are water and starch. All the vitamins and what your body needs are in the "Robe" - the skin, so do not get rid of that important nutrion.
Potatoes should not be "overboiled". Use a fork to test when they have just "softened" in the middle. Use potatoes same size, or chop them equally large.

When everything above, is well in soil, you must plan the Hunting season.
That's the toughest part. And may be restricted by law or money - depending of where you live.

You can hire on a whale ship - as whatever you can do, you can do a deal with the indigenous at Olympia penninsula in Washington state, negociate with hunters from Greenland or Iceland,

or go to a Norwegian shop or market. Like here in Bergen at the Fish Market . Your Guide is my cousin from Americas.
To buy your Whale Beef fresh or Frozen. Here, at the Fish Market, all fresh fish and Fruit de Mer - all from the Ocean - fresh from the day (or last Night).

As with all kinds of tender meat (Whale beef is extrodinary tender) - you can prefare as you like it. In a pan, in the oven or on the BQ. We prefere to use a Pan and some oil or real butter, and served red inside. Then on high temperature. It normally takes a little longer than a "Tournados" or Tender Beef. You'll find out. But, there will be no crises a minute or so less or more.

Gravy sauce, well I think you can make it yourself or just buy it in your local store.

Berries, organic must be. Pick from your own Garden or in a Forest near by you (Nature is amazing). May be you prefere to buy them from your local Farmers Market - or Grocery shop.
Ice or sauce, it's up to you.

The dessert is only an option, so are the espresso avec.
Bon Appetit - Have a happy and pleasant meal

Facts about Whales: It is species of Whales that are allmost eradicated. Like the Blue Whales. Right? But not all sorts of Whales are endangered. The Minke Whale for instance. They are so many in some areas they have what the Fishers says: Left the ocean black. That means, they eat all the Fish. And die, like some species of Seals, by hunger. It's like hunting Moose, Raindeer and other of that species that have become too many for their pasture. (Humans kills the predators, so they have no longer natural enemies enough to keep the number in line with nature).

More food to be presented (my way) -- so stay tuned.

ps. My health is slowly coming back to normal. Hurray
.
Hugs to all of you. I'll soon be back as a regular commenter as well.

Please excuse my English. After some weeks out of normal working days - gosh, I do forget

Labels: , , , , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Sandee said...

Dinner looks yummy. I've never had whale beef before, but I'd give it a go. I would so love to come and have dinner at you and Anna's home, or Renny and Diane's home. You all so enjoy such wonderful food and wine. Thanks for sharing another wonderful treat to the pallet as well as the eye. Big hug to you and Anna. :)

September 05, 2008 12:35 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the fact that in Norway eating is more of a social thing and not just a quick bite of whatever. I sure would try all of the things that you have shown. I am always one to try everything!

September 05, 2008 1:00 am  
Blogger Veronita said...

Oh my God! Se ve todo muy sabroso! Gracias por compartir cosas tan bonitas y abrir tu vida a todos nosotros!

September 05, 2008 8:11 am  
Blogger Tim Clevenger said...

Ok, now I'm just hungry.

September 05, 2008 1:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have eaten whale but can't quite get used to the idea of it. Still the dinner looks delicious. Have a great weekend!

September 05, 2008 3:00 pm  
Blogger lime said...

i do understand what you mean about not every species being endangered and i appreciate that you took the time to clarify which ones are good to hunt. i would definitely give that a try if i ever came to norway!

September 05, 2008 3:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely post about Norwegian cooking tradition Tor and it reminds me of all the lovely dinners we've had together!

Besides - just like Maribeth was commenting: The social part and sharing it around the table, is the best thing.

We had whales a lot when I was a child and I just love it - yours looks great too!

Funny we both are posting about the Fish Market in Bergen :-)

Have a great end to your week - both of you!

September 05, 2008 10:19 pm  
Blogger Shammickite said...

Whale meat! WOW! I have never tried it, and I don't usually eat very much meat, but for you, Tor, I would eat some. I will sign on to a whaling ship today! If I can find one here in the middle of Canada.
The beans and potatoes would be good too!

September 06, 2008 4:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had NO idea that Bjarne Håkon Hansen has written a cookbook.

I am preparing a dinner for tonights soccer game, Norway vs Iceland right now. I have neglected my food blog lately, may be it is time to blow some life into it again.....

September 06, 2008 6:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to hear you are better now!
Thanks for the recipe and all the recommandations! I need new ideas because my Pierre is a fan of the table and considers table is the or one of the most important time in a journey!
Have a beautiful sunday, Tor! Tomorrow this is the birthday of my BIL! a nice lunch in perspective!

September 06, 2008 11:25 pm  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Well, you lost me at the word whale! I just couldn't eat that! But I'd do veggies and dessert!

September 07, 2008 2:14 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have given you a little gift of love over on my blog www.dackelprincess.com

September 07, 2008 1:06 pm  
Blogger Suzann said...

Tor - I love your post, you know I love cooking and eating and feeding people. Just loving your recipes start with "dig a bean patch." LOL

Keep those viking recipes coming :) Hmmmmm - surprised for September 20! Have a beautiful day.

September 07, 2008 1:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, of course, it's about fooood :-)

Norway and Sweden has some similar dishes, but yet so different. Whale is almost never on the menu over here.

September 08, 2008 1:23 am  
Blogger Shionge said...

What a fantastic treat Toraa....thank you so much and I appreciate the thought of going through the preparation and presentation :)

September 08, 2008 2:22 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home