Friday, March 09, 2007

Friday 9 mars 2007

Fun or not fun?
This Friday was our first Harry-Tour this year. Most Norwegians knows what phenomea that is. In one sentence: It's an expression given by a former Norwegian Minister of Agriculture to describe Norwegians going to Sweden to shop cheaper (less expensive) food than in Norway (incl. Wine and Tobacco, car repairing etc).

We do that a couple of times each year. 250 km ( about 160 miles) - 3-4 hours including shopping and, and.. That's what it takes from where we live. Others have only minutes to go.

The Tour had a perfect start. I went to Anna's job to pick her up, after feeding the cats a little extra. That means I did drive from a our suburb south in Oslo into downtown - on a Friday early afternoon. I was there, but Anna?
No. TG for cellphones. I called.

- I'm waiting at the station, as agreed upon this morning, answered Anna upon my call
- oooops - I'm just outside your job... Coming as soon as the traffic allows me, said the driver (what do we call this kind of reply...)

Twenty minutes it took. At least, we saved 10 minutes all in all.

75 minutes drive in fog, and we where in shopping paradise (mostly prices and also some food varieties we like). No shopping malls. Only the winery and the shop next door. And then another one. No Customs. We even had glimpses of light (different lightscale colors) and blue sky on the return drive. Not much trafic. Cruisecontrol traffic with other words. But wet and salty road. Wiper on automatic needed. Heading home. Safely.


Hello this was the fun. Children go to bed. The rest of the story is very, very sad. Sleep well. I promise some sweet jokes next time. (I'm still alive - hugs from the old Viking)

Good night - sleeeep weeel - dream dream dream....

The rest is for folks with Drivers license only

Then, less than one minute by car from home: pang. punctation. The first one this century. I say no more: 75 minutes extra. No Formel 1 Pit Stop speed. Alumnium wheel rims and salted roads are definetly a very bad combination. Unless you know how to avoid the glueing effect between steel and alumnium created by salt - road salt.

Anna went home by her own (walking to be precisly - with one bottle of white wine to chill down) to feed Felicia and Rosa with Pollock.

As you, my dear reader, allready have observed, I'm home too. And the White Wine - Excellent.

That's it Folks; my Fun Friday this week:))




PS. The last cartoon is dedicated Mrs Lifecruiser.
If you ponder why, you can click here.
Read all, then you'll see the point. But I strongly disagree with the conclusion. You may wonder why. If, read my comment. If you still wonder.. ask:))

btw. Why do they both look like tourists?

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger RennyBA said...

Hi Tor! Diane and I are in Harry Land today as well. We drove in the same fog as you, but of course you know we are spending the whole weekend here and enjoying ourselves as well as the low prices. Maybe next time you will join us again!! Have a good weekend and give Anna a hug from us!

March 10, 2007 12:51 am  
Blogger Shionge said...

Hey, it's the same here Tor coz our currency is stronger than the Malaysian so alot of them travel to Johore Bahru (one of the state in Malaysia) to shop.

I don't like it coz it's crowded..you have a wonderful weekend pal!

March 10, 2007 3:01 am  
Blogger lime said...

where do you find some of these cartoons? they are hilarious!

March 10, 2007 4:05 am  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Why are things so cheap there and so much more in Norway?

March 10, 2007 4:12 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Tor it sounds as if you and Anna had quite the shopping adventure! I am glad you are safe back home now. Why are things cheaper in "Harry Land"?

I'm glad you found a good bottle of wine. :)

March 10, 2007 2:36 pm  
Blogger Shammickite said...

It's quite amazing how much a bottle of wine helps when a tire has to be repaired!
Have a good weekend Tor and Anna.

March 10, 2007 3:27 pm  
Blogger A. said...

Your cartoons are great! And I'm glad to hear you are back safely.

In the UK Harry-tours are called booze cruises! People cross the channel to buy anything in cheaper (or different) France, nowadays not as much as in previous times. Wine, yes, French cheeses, but there is less and less which is different - it's a shame - with globalisation.

March 10, 2007 6:46 pm  
Blogger Gattina said...

Please tell me the difference between "cheaper" and "less expensive" BEFORE I go shopping next time.
I am still laughing at your cartoons, especially the first one (I just imagine that it's exactly like you look) and the last one with Mrs. Lifecruisers picture, lol ! I will welcome the cruise in Waterloo on March 18 at least I think so.

March 11, 2007 5:39 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for being late, real life is a rush sometimes! PHEW!

Well, that it is cheaper in Harry-land I can confirm, but that only because it's so darn expensive in Norway :-)

I wonder why you call Sweden HARRY, but I may prefer to not be aware of why and imagine that it's because we once had rally-harry over here....

There are a lot of jokes going around from both countries about each other, I know.... *lol*

Oh, no, not punctation... YUCK. I don't even want to hear the word car trouble since we had to practically exchange the whole engine last year. Not only expensive, but it was not properly done! horror! and took time! and emptied our wallets! *shivers with fear*

And of course I love the last cartoon, it would have not been me if I didn't....

*giggles x millions*

Though I have very strong empathy for that poor, poor man!!!

BTW: I can also confirm about Gattina being the hostess the 18th. My monday post will be showing the schedule so far.

March 11, 2007 11:54 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home